Support for Data Based Decision-Making
The Assessment, Data, and Evaluation team provides a systems approach to critical district functions that supports data-based decision making. Data is an asset that belongs to the district, not individual departments, and must be utilized as such. Having a centralized team allows Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) to (1) optimize, link, access, analyze, and act upon all major categories of district data (i.e., student, staff, assessment, school, human resources, financial, and operational data) and (2) strategically meet the diverse needs of all departments, which ensures:
- transparent data processes (collection, storage, analysis, and reporting),
- effective collaboration and coordination of efforts,
- integration of data from multiple sources,
- consistent data security and access policies and procedures, and
- unbiased measurement and reporting.
The mission of the Assessment, Data, and Evaluation team is to promote data-driven improvement and decision-making that enables students and staff to reach their potential. This work is guided by the principles of collaborative inquiry to facilitate action within each phase of the continuous improvement cycle.
- Planning: Developing data-based action plans and goal (target) setting.
- Data Collection: Collecting data through assessments and data information systems, which includes data organization, storage, interoperability, and communication.
- Data Analysis: Facilitating data access, analysis, and reporting.
- Evaluation: Supporting the interpretation of data and informing actions and improvement.
The Assessment, Data, and Evaluation office also completes several district, state, and federal reports throughout the year, including the Annual Progress Report (APR), Comprehension School Improvement Plan (CSIP), Student Reporting in Iowa (SRI), BEDS, Civil Rights, and Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) reporting.
For district Assessment, Data, and Evaluation resources please visit data.dmschools.org.
Conducting Research in Des Moines Public Schools
The Assessment, Data, and Evaluation office reviews all internal and external requests to conduct research in and of the district. All research applicants must complete a research application. Questions regarding research applications should be directed to email@example.com.