Support for Data Based Decision-Making
The purpose of the assessment, data, and evaluation team is to provide a systems approach to critical district functions that support data based decision making. Data is an asset that belongs to the district, not individual departments, and must be governed as such. A centralized team allows DMPS to harness, link, access, analyze, and act upon all major categories of district data (including student, staff, assessment, school, human resources, financial, and operational data) and strategically meet the data needs of all departments. This ensures:
- transparency of data processes,
- increased effectiveness through coordination of efforts, and
- unbiased measurement and reporting through an independent team.
Mission Statement & Goals
The mission of the assessment, data, and evaluation team is to collect, store, analyze, and report quality data that drive strategic decision-making so students and staff may reach their full potential.
The assessment, data, and evaluation team has three over-arching goals:
- Increase utilization of data systems to meet district needs for increased system efficiency.
- Create a structured system for monitoring student/initiative/program progress to enable departments to determine effectiveness and to make decisions necessary to achieve outcomes.
- Facilitate a collaborative evaluation process district-wide that drives the allocation of resources based upon evidence.
The assessment, data, and evaluation office also completes several district, state, and federal reports throughout the year, including the Annual Progress Report (APR), Comprehension School Improvement Plan (CSIP), Student Reporting in Iowa (SRI), BEDS, Civil Rights, and Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) reporting.
For district assessment, data, and evaluation resources please visit data.dmschools.org.
Conducting Research in Des Moines Public Schools
The assessment, data, and evaluation office reviews all internal and external requests to conduct research in the district. All research applicants must complete a research application. Questions regarding research applications should be directed to email@example.com.