Welcome to the DMPS Virtual Backpack
We are pleased to welcome you to the virtual backpack for Des Moines Public Schools, our central hub for information about school and community events and information of interest to students and their families.
This new system aligns with our commitment to be environmentally friendly and energy efficient by reducing the volume of printed materials sent home with students.
Non-profit organizations and other entities who support our schools are encouraged to submit events, announcements, brochures and flyers. From camps to sports leagues to family services, the DMPS Virtual Backpack is here to serve as a link between community partners and our students and families.
- What is the DMPS virtual backpack? The virtual backpack allows the Des Moines Public School District to distribute school and community information electronically to parents, staff, and students.
- Can I subscribe to the DMPS virtual backpack? Not yet. However, we have linked the virtual backpack to all of our school web sites and a mobile-friendly version is available through the DMPS mobile app.
- Can I submit an event? If you are a part of a school-sponsored, school-affiliated, school-supported, or nonprofit organization – yes! This includes camps, sports leagues and artistic opportunities, as well as community services that support our students and their families.
- Does my flyer need a disclaimer? Yes! All flyers (excluding school or district-affiliated flyers) must include the following disclaimer: “This is not a Des Moines Public Schools activity. The district shares this information as a courtesy to create awareness of community opportunities available to our students and their families.”
- Will my event be approved? If your event follows all of the criteria listed above, it should be approved by the communications department. If it is not, an email will be sent to the listed contact detailing why.
- How long will my information be available on the digital backpack? Information and events may be shared for a maximum of 30 days after approved. An event will expire after its designated date (if it falls within 30 days) and all other information will expire within 30 days of approval and live posting.
- Can I send a paper flyer to students? We encourage everyone to use our new paperless system, as it is more accessible to all members of our school community. Schools may decide to share a paper flyer for something specific to their students.