Preparing Students from Around the World for the World
At the same time, DMPS educates students to be prepared to go out and succeed in the world, including a robust World Languages curriculum. That’s one reason DMPS is participating in the Iowa Seal of Biliteracy program.
The Seal of Biliteracy is an award given by the district to recognize students who have attained proficiency in two or more languages, one of which is English, by high school graduation. Some of the goals of this new effort include:
- Encourage students to study world languages
- Certify attainment of biliteracy
- Provide a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills
- Prepare students with 21st century skills
- Recognize and promote world language instruction in public schools
- Strengthen intergroup relationships, affirm the value of diversity, and honor the multiple cultures and languages of a community
WHY IS THE SEAL OF BILITERACY IMPORTANT?
Being able to know and use more than one language is a critical skill for the 21st century. The seal of Biliteracy:
- Values language as an asset
- Recognizes the value of language diversity & cultural identity
- Prepares students for the 21st century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society
- Provides employers, universities, and grant/scholarship providers with a method to recognize applicants for their dedication to attainment of Biliteracy.
For more information about the State Seal of Biliteracy, visit the Iowa Department of Education website.
- The Iowa Department of Education has posted the Iowa Seal of Biliteracy Guidance document on their web site, which contains additional information about the program. Click here to download a copy. (PDF)
- Have more questions about the Seal of Biliteracy? Download a copy of our FAQ. (PDF)
- Want to apply for the Seal of Biliteracy? Click here to complete our online application form.
WORLD LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT OPTIONS
To be eligible to be awarded the Iowa Seal of Biliteracy, students shall demonstrate proficiency in a world language. The assessment options to demonstrate proficiency in a world language include:
|Assessment||Language(s)||Minimum Score to Qualify for Seal of Biliteracy||More Information on Assessment|
|Advanced Placement (AP) Language and Culture Exam||Spanish, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese||3||AP Language and Culture Exams|
|Advanced Placement (AP) Latin Exam||Latin||3||AP Language and Culture Exams|
REQUIREMENTS TO DEMONSTRATE KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH
To be eligible to be awarded the Iowa Seal of Biliteracy, each student shall demonstrate proficiency in English. The requirement must be met during the course of each student’s high school years. The assessment options to demonstrate proficiency in English include
|AP Language or AP Literature Exam||3|
|English Language Proficiency Assessment for the 21st Century (ELPA 21) in grades 9-12||4 or 5 in all domains (reading, writing, speaking, and listening)|
|Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress (ISASP) in grades 9-12||Proficient in English/Language Arts|
|Most recent Iowa Assessment results (2018-19 only)||Proficient in Reading Comprehension|