Purchasing Card Program
The Des Moines Public School Purchasing Card program provides district employees with a convenient and efficient means of purchasing permitted goods and services directly from vendors.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for a pCard?
For employees that are traveling or need to make regular purchases an individual pCard can be obtained by completing an Individual Cardholder Statement of Authority. Once the request is completed and has been signed by the employee and their supervisor it should be sent to pCard@dmschools.org for further review and approval. Employees should allow 30 days for receipt of their pCard.
Are there items that cannot be purchased on a pCard?
- Personal Items
- Money Orders or Gift Cards
- Drugs/alcohol/narcotics/OTC medications
- Furniture, fixtures, and equipment valued at $1,000 or greater
- DMPS salaries, wages, and benefits
- Monthly contracts and subscriptions
- Gasoline for personal vehicles
If you have a question about an item you are planning to purchase please contact Accounts Payable prior to making that purchase to confirm compliance.
Can I purchase technology on a pCard?
How can I cancel a card?
What should I do if there's tax on a receipt?
Can I use a pCard online?
Can I use a pCard on Amazon?
- Before making the purchase review the Central Stores Catalog to determine whether the item or a like item is available.
- If purchasing through a third party on Amazon, you must confirm that our tax-exempt status is honored before making the purchase.
- Personal items should never be purchased on Amazon Business and personal credit cards should never be used for district purchases on Amazon.
- The district does not pay for additional shipping. DMPS Amazon Business utilizes Amazon Prime because of this the district is eligible for two-day shipping on most items.
- Care should be taken when purchasing any chemical such as bleach by checking with Custodial Supervision to ensure the purchase and use in a class setting is acceptable by state code.
- Purchaser should always achieve the best value by balancing the advantages of quality, durability, delivery time and other non-price considerations against the price, to obtain the maximum combined advantage to the school or department.