Safely Delivering Thousands To and From School
The school district’s Transportation Department employs 195 people who drive and maintain the school district’s busses, safely delivering 11,000 students each day to and from their schools.
Des Moines Public Schools is home to one of the state’s largest and busiest transportation programs. To put it all in perspective, here are some facts and figures:
- Number of DMPS buses: 136
- Daily number of bus routes: about 100
- Daily number of individual bus runs: 650
- Number of students transported daily: about 11,000
- Number of miles traveled annually: over 1.6 million
- Number of gallons of diesel fuel consumed annually: about 250,000
- Cost of a 2018 65-passenger bus: $92,000
For more information about transportation, please visit the links to the right or download a copy of the DMPS Transportation Resource Guide.