Educating and Serving the Complete Student
Des Moines Public Schools is a partner in the Coalition for Community Schools. DMPS Community Schools exist to build meaningful partnerships between families, schools, and the community leading to improved student learning, thriving families and vibrant Des Moines neighborhoods. It’s one more way DMPS is becoming the model for urban education in the United States.
Community School Coordinators
Community School Coordinators work with their school teams to create a comprehensive continuum of internal and external supports to ensure students’ personal and academic success. Community School Coordinators aim to accomplish the following objectives:
- Foster effective school-community relationships toward improved student outcomes
- Support transitions in schools with an emphasis on improved student engagement
- Improve students’ community engagement and social awareness
- Increase family engagement with schools
- Expand the community school strategy
Community School Coordinators are funded by United Way of Central Iowa Education Impact funds, the United Way of Central Iowa ELI- Education Leadership Initiative, and the United States Department of Education Full Service Community Schools Program.