Resources for Candidates
There are several resources readily available to School Board candidates about Iowa election laws and the duties of School Board members. In addition, the DMPS web site is full of information about a range of policies and programs in Des Moines, and have note a few below that would be good to review.
The Iowa Secretary of State’s Office has a page with information for School Board candidates, including a summary of election laws as well as nominating petitions.
The Polk County Auditor’s Election Office is a good source for additional information, such as voter registration and voting locations. (NOTE: Des Moines Public Schools also includes a small portion of northern Warren County.)
IOWA SCHOOL BOARD ASSOCIATION
The Iowa Association of School Boards represents school district directors throughout the state. The IASB web site include a section with information for candidates. In addition, their web site includes a range of information about the responsibilities and duties of School Board members as well as key issues for public education in Iowa.
DES MOINES PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The DMPS web site contains a range of information, from policies and budgets to features on the work of our students and teachers. As a candidate for School Board, a few areas that might be especially helpful include:
- Budget: One of the biggest responsibilities of any School Board is approving the annual budget. Visit budget.dmschools.org for a copy of the current and recent budgets at DMPS.
- Governance: The Des Moines School Board relies upon policy governance to help define and focus its role, vision and values. The current board policy is available on the web site, and would be good to review in becoming familiar with the work of the School Board.
- Duties: The Des Moines School Board occasionally hosts workshops on its work. Visit the web page for a recent session; at the bottom is a video of the workshop along with further materials on the work of the board.
- Superintendent: The Superintendent is the sole employee who the School Board is responsible for when it comes to performance and results. Click here to read a copy of their current contract.
- Board Meetings: DMPS-TV airs all meetings of the Des Moines School Board. Visit their YouTube channel for an archive of past meetings.
- School Data: DMPS maintains a wide range of data on student achievement. The Data Snapshot web page looks at each school at DMPS.
There are several education organizations that are a good source of information about public education, including ones that DMPS either belongs to or work with.