Open Enrollment Limitations & Stipulations

TransportationParents of students approved for open enrollment are responsible for transporting their student to the new school.  State code allows for a parent to request transportation assistance.  Specific income guidelines, separate from those for the free/reduced lunch program, must be met to qualify for this assistance.  Documentation of the family’s income must be submitted each year the assistance is requested and updated any time the income changes by more than $50 per month.  Please contact the Welcome Center at 515-242-7371 for more information about this program.

Special Education StudentsOpen enrollment requests for special education students shall be reviewed by the Special Education Executive Director to determine if the student’s special needs can be accommodate by the district.  The pupil/teacher ratios required by state law or District policy shall be maintained for all special education programs.  The District shall not be required to hire additional instructional or support staff to accommodate an open enrollment student.

Continuation of Educational ProgramStudents moving from one district to another may remain in the original district for the duration of their career with no interruption of their education program. To do so, parents must complete an open enrollment application for continuation within 60 days of the date of the move. This request must be honored by receiving and resident district if submitted timely. Parents assume responsibility for transporting students approved for continuation.

Interscholastic AthleticsStudents who transfer prior to grade 10 will be eligible to participate in interscholastic athletic contests. A student who transfers in grades 10 through 12 shall not be eligible to participate in interscholastic athletic contests and athletic competitions during the first 90 school days of enrollment unless the student’s resident district does not offer the interscholastic sport.