DMPS was honored for having the Best Social Media Presence at the inaugural event.
“Engaging with our parents, students and the community is a top priority at DMPS,” said Phil Roeder, director of communications for Des Moines Public Schools. “From our web sites to our new app to our multiple social media sites, we have worked hard to expand how we engage online to make the school district accessible anywhere and everywhere. It’s great to see the district recognized for our efforts.”
Des Moines Public Schools uses social media to share news about students and staff, provide announcements and reminders, post photos and videos of school events, and more. The district has more than 28,000 followers at the following sites:
Six marketing and social media professionals from Detroit, Hawaii, Kansas City, Los Angeles and Tulsa served as judges and selected the winners.
Other winners at Des Moines’ first #Hashie Awards ceremony were:
- Best use of Facebook, nonprofit: Sturgis Falls (managed by Far Reach Technologies)
- Best use of Facebook, business-to-business: Happy Medium
- Best use of Facebook, business-to-consumer: Jaarsma Bakery
- Twitter account, business-to-business: Blue Compass Interactive
- Best use of Video: City of Ankeny
- Best YouTube channel: Crossroads of Western Iowa, Sioux City
- Best Business Blog: Blank Children’s Hospital, Des Moines (built by Blue Compass)
- Best use of Instagram: Happy Medium
- Best use of Pinterest: Adamantine Yoga (managed by Happy Medium)
- Best Social Media Contest: Far Reach Technologies