Normal School Hours at DMPS for Friday, August 25
UPDATED: THURDSDAY, AUGUST 24 – 5:30 PM
NORMAL SCHOOL HOURS AT DMPS FOR FRIDAY, AUGUST 25
Des Moines Public Schools appreciates everyone’s understanding and cooperation with today’s early dismissal of classes due to excessive heat.
Schools will operate with their normal hours tomorrow (Friday, August 25) and classes will dismiss at their usual times. Athletic events and activities will take place as scheduled.
Thank you for being a part of the DMPS community as we conclude this first week of the new school year.
School hours for 2023-24 are as follows:
- High Schools: 8:25 AM – 3:25 PM
- Middle Schools (including Cowles and Ruby Van Meter): 8:30 AM – 3:25 PM
- Elementary School: 7:45 AM – 2:40 PM
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 23 – 9:45 PM
CLASSES WILL DISMISS THREE HOURS EARLY ON THURSDAY, AUGUST 24
Due to the continuing high temperatures and an Excessive Heat Warning in effect by the National Weather Service, Des Moines Public Schools will dismiss classes three hours early on Thursday, August 24.
Elementary schools will dismiss at 11:40 AM. Middle and high schools will dismiss at 12:25 PM. Breakfast and lunch will be served.
“While we had a great first day of school, I don’t want the high heat and humidity to put the health and well-being of any student or staff member at risk,” said Dr. Ian Roberts, superintendent of Des Moines Public Schools. “Dismissing early will help people, especially our transportation drivers and staff, not having to be outside during the day’s highest forecasted temperatures.”
Most DMPS school buses are not air-conditioned, meaning very warm conditions for students and the risk of heat exhaustion and heat stroke for bus drivers. (Several bus drivers were monitored for heat exhaustion at the end of today’s routes.)
This early dismissal also means the following:
- All middle school activities are cancelled.
- High school outdoor practices must be held between 6-8 AM or after 7:30 PM.
- Outdoor high school athletic competitions for Thursday are postponed.
- Lunch will be served. Service time may be changed to accommodate building needs.
- No use of school facilities by non-DMPS organizations.
- Metro Kids after-school childcare will not be available following early dismissal.