Supporting New Teachers of Color
Des Moines Public Schools, Des Moines Area Community College, and Drake University have created the 3D Coalition project as a vehicle for the recruitment, training, and hiring of high quality teachers of color in schools that enroll large numbers of ethnic minority, low income students.
The goals of the project include supporting recruitment efforts and mentoring candidates as they complete their teacher preparation programs at DMACC and Drake, providing high quality teacher training and creating a more diverse teaching force for district classrooms.
Participants who complete their teacher preparation programs will be guaranteed an interview with DMPS.
- Supporting the minority teacher candidate recruitment efforts of the three-partner institution
- Funding forgivable loans and other supports as selected candidates complete their teacher preparation programs at DMACC and Drake
- Providing high-quality teacher preparation training
- Creating a more diverse teaching force for classrooms in Des Moines Public Schools
The applicant must:
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Be an ethnic or racial minority candidate with proof of citizenship or permanent residency.
- Complete all phases of the application process.
- Apply and be accepted at DMACC and the Drake University. Meet with a 3D representative to determine and build a plan for degree completion.
- Commit to attending all 3D Coalition program activities.
- Commit to working in the Des Moines Public School District for a required number of years.