For teachers new to the profession and to Des Moines Public Schools, the BLUE contract is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to advance both your education and your career:
- Drake’s M.S.E. in Culturally Responsive Leadership and Instruction has six required courses focusing on effective teaching, cultural proficiency, and teacher leadership. Students may then select five classes from the following elective strands: DMPS, Leadership, Equity in Mathematics, STEM, ELL, SPED, Reading, or Gifted and Talented.
- The mandatory courses in the degree were created with DMPS’ administrators, coaches, teachers, and Drake faculty to ensure practical application of the theoretical works we study to a DMPS classroom. Program explicitly designed to complement your experience as a DMPS teacher at no cost to you.
- New teachers on the BLUE contract earn a higher starting salary
- Professional Development – 27 hours a year and two additional contract days. First year professional development focus on developing strong foundational teaching practices. Years two and three explore cultural proficiency in order to better serve students in urban and diverse classrooms. Years four through six coursework begins at Drake University.
- Develop leadership capacity – several of our BLUE teachers are in leadership roles: mentors, school leadership teams, PLC leaders, demonstration classroom teachers, innovation teachers, leading cultural proficiency professional development