Middle, High Schoolers Earn Honors at State Science Fair
More than half of the middle school students from Des Moines Public Schools who qualified for the 2015 State Science and Technology Fair came home with awards for their research projects.
Forty-nine students representing seven DMPS middle schools participated in the event, held on Friday at Iowa State University. Twenty-seven students earned awards for the work.
High school students from DMPS also did well in Ames. Nineteen high school students qualified for the State Science Fair, with many earning awards and scholarships for their work.
High school and middle school students earning recognition at the State Science Fair as as follows:
- Akanksha Chilukuri and Shivani Kumaresan won 3rd place in the Microbiology category
- Benjamin Brewer(Central Campus) won the United States Public Health Service award and a $500 scholarship from Iowa State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Breanna Worley (Central Campus) won 3rd place in the Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Mason Rhodes (Central Campus) earned honorable mention in the Microbiology category
- Miles Graham (Central Campus) earned honorable mention in the Biochemistry category
NORTH HIGH SCHOOL
- Danielle Espinosa-Gonzalez Bellolio won an Excellence in Science & Engineering award from Iowa State University for Women in Science & Engineering. She also received honorable mention in the Engineering category.
BRODY MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Lindsey Dueling: 2nd place in Environmental Science
- Grace Twelmeyer: 2nd place in the Chemistry
- Kylie Lynch: 3rd place in Environmental Science
- Bills: Honorable Mention in Energy and Transportation
- Catherine Dooley: Honorable Mention in Environmental Science
- Ben Badger: Honorable Mention in Environmental Science
- Olivia O’Keefe: Honorable Mention in Physics and Computer Science
CALLANAN MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Shakira Stiefvater, Dayvion Thompson, and Katherine Berber-Solis partnered to win: Overall winner in Earth Science and Astronomy and were in the Broadcom Masters top 10%.
- Theo Auge and Jolie Seitz: 1st place in Human and Behavioral Science and Broadcom Masters top 10%
- Kyliana Benesh-Llop: 3rd place in Microbiology
- Louise Bequeaith: 2nd Place in Microbiology
- David Williams: 3rd Place in Energy and Transportation
MCCOMBS MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Ricardo Ortega: Honorable Mention in Physics and Computer Science
- Adam Ahlberg: Honorable Mention in Physics and Computer Science
MEREDITH MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Aracely Miron-Ocampo: 2nd Place in Plant Science
- Jennifer Robles: 3rd Place in Medicine and Health
MERRILL MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Helena Anderson: Honorable Mention in Environmental Science
- Hazer Becic: Honorable Mention in Chemistry
- Cooper Kissell: 1st Place in Environmental Science and the Iowa Water Environment Federation US Stockholm Junior Water Price
- Meghan Gentsch: 1st Place in Human and Behavioral Science and Broadcom Masters top 10%
- Yanni Antoniou: 1st Place in Physics and Computer Science and Broadcom Masters top 10%
- Cael Fitch: 2nd Place in Math and Engineering, Special awards for Science Excellence and from the US Air Force.
- Cecile Lorenzen: 2nd Place in Plant Science
WEEKS MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Andy Montalvo-Martinez and Mirthra Perez: Honorable Mention in Energy and Transportation.