Why Live in Des Moines?
DES MOINES. THE PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK.
Des Moines is a vibrant, innovative and diverse city.
Downtown Des Moines offers amenities usually found only in major cities.
Experience the unique shopping offered in the East Village. Dine at world class restaurants. Enjoy countless entertainment opportunities at Wells Fargo Arena and the Civic Center. Expand your horizons at the Science Center of Iowa and Downtown Library. Cheer for a NBA D-league team, the Chicago Cubs’ AAA club or the Minnesota Wild’s AHL franchise.
Find unique housing options at several lofts and townhome developments. Visit one of the nation’s largest farmers’ markets as well as the top-ranked art festival. Listen to summer concerts along the banks of the Des Moines River or on the steps of the State Capitol. Or take a leisurely stroll through the Pappajohn Sculpture Park or along the Principal Riverwalk.
Throughout Des Moines are dozens of neighborhoods, each with its own personality and style. You will not only find great places to live but will discover a new favorite coffee shop, locally owned restaurants and food markets, unique clothing stores, and much more.
And Des Moines – along with the entire metro area – is connected by a series of parks and trails so you can enjoy a bike ride, walk or run on a warm summer day, under the colored leaves of autumn, or on a blanket of fresh fallen snow.
In fact, Des Moines’ Gray’s Lake Park was recognized as one of the nation’s best outdoor places and central Iowa is intertwined with more than a hundred miles of trails.
Don’t just take our word for it. Here’s what others have to say about Des Moines:
- Des Moines is a Top 10 city for young home buyers – National Association of Realtors
- Des Moines is the #1 Place for Business and Careers in 2013 – Forbes
- Des Moines ranks #1 “Best Cities for Families” – Kiplinger
- Des Moines Named No. 5 in Top 100 Best Cities for Families – Parenting Magazine
- Greater Des Moines Ranks #1 Best City for Young Professionals – Forbes
- Des Moines ranks #2 Best Place for Business. – Forbes
- Des Moines is the #1 richest metro in the nation. – US News & World Report
- Des Moines is the #1 city in the US for home renters. – Time Magazine
- Iowa ranks #9 for best state for business. – CNBC
- Des Moines is the #4 city in the nation for doing business. – MarketWatch
- Des Moines ranks in the top 10 “Best Cities for the Next Decade.” – Kiplinger
- Des Moines ranks #1 as the “Best Place for Business and Careers.” – Forbes 2010
- Des Moines is one of the 20 strongest-performing metro areas. – Brookings
- Des Moines living costs are 10 percent below the national average. – The Council for Community and Economic Research
- Des Moines is the #6 healthiest place to live – Parenting Magazine