DMPS: Classes Delayed Two Hours on Tuesday, January 7
Due to the forecast for very low overnight temperatures and a double-digit subzero wind chill early tomorrow morning, Des Moines Public Schools will be operating on a two-hour delay for Tuesday, January 7.
A wind chill advisory from the National Weather Service is in effect for Polk County until 9:00 AM tomorrow morning.
All schools will begin classes two hours later and dismiss at the regular time. DMPS and DART buses are to run routes two hours later. Please visit the DART web site for further details on their schedule.
AM-only early childhood programs and before-school activities are cancelled for Tuesday morning. Metro Kids before-school child care will open at the regular time and remain open two hours later in the morning.
Further details for what this announcement means for student, parents and employees are as follows:
This announcement means the following for students and parents:
- All schools will begin classes two hours later and dismiss at the regular time.
- DMPS and DART buses will run routes two hours later.
- Students should listen for announcements when arriving at school about which class period will begin the school day.
- Metro Kids before-school child care will be open at the regular time and remain in operation two hours later in the morning.
- Breakfast will be served 30-45 minutes before classes begin.
- Lunch will be served at the regular time.
- All classes will end at the regular time.
- Morning only early-childhood and early-childhood special education programs will be cancelled.
- Full-day early-childhood and early-childhood special education programs will be two hours late.
- A.M. Gifted and Talented programs will be cancelled.
- A.M. Parochial shuttle buses will be cancelled.
- All before-school, extracurricular activities will be cancelled.
This announcement means the following for DMPS employees:
- All administrators, food service, 10.5-month administrators, office managers/secretarial/clerical staff will work their regular schedule.
- Teachers, associates, other instructional staff, non-administrative, certified staff and substitutes should report before the 2-hour delay start time. An employee who does not report by the 2-hour delay start time shall use appropriate leave benefits or will be deducted salary for absence.
- Bus drivers and bus associates will report to work two hours later than normally scheduled.
- All custodial, facilities, and technology staff will be directed by their supervisors.
- All specialists will be directed by their supervisors.