Back-to-School Registration Underway
With the new school year a little more than a month away for most students, Des Moines Public Schools’ families can register for the 2011-2012 school year beginning next week.
Most Des Moines schools will hold registration for returning students during the week of July 25-29 with the exceptions noted below. Please call your school for scheduled days, times, and locations.
The following schools will hold registration at other times between today and mid-August:
- Lovejoy Elementary School will hold registration on July 19 from 1:00 to 7:00 p.m. and July 20 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Brody Middle School will hold registration on Aug. 8 and Aug. 9 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Jefferson Elementary due to renovations at Brody.
- McCombs Middle School will hold registration on Aug. 8 and Aug. 9 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Harding Middle School will hold registration on Aug. 15 and Aug. 18 from Noon to 7:00 p.m.
- North High School will hold registration on Aug. 16 and Aug. 17 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
In addition, Wright Elementary School registered returning students by mail and will register new students by appointment. The traditional schools – Goodrell, Jefferson, and Phillips – register students by application. And schools using a continuous calendar – Capitol View, Moulton and River Woods – started the school year on July 14.
Families new to Des Moines Public Schools and ELL families should register at the Welcome Center, 1301 2nd Avenue, throughout the summer by appointment. Hours during the day are between 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. On July 26 and July 28, the Welcome Center will have extended hours until 7:00 p.m. Appointments can be made by calling 242-7371 or 242-8102 (ELL Program).
Families must bring proof of address (utility bill, lease agreement, etc.), photo identification, and emergency contact information to registration.
“We’re excited to welcome everyone to Des Moines Public Schools for the start of a new school year,” said Tom Ahart, associate superintendent. “Parents should remember returning students must register for each new school year even if they attended the same school last year. This is an opportunity to update contact information, obtain school physical forms and receive class schedules.”