North Academic Decathletes Earn Regional Honors, Head to State
The North High School Academic Decathlon team dominated the competition once again during a regional contest held at Drake University, beating out all competitors for the third year in a row. The team broke several records and came away with more points than any of the other participating teams.
In total, North High School won 23 awards. Individual honors were awarded to:
- Senior Julius Tembe had the highest individual score in the competition for the second year, took first place in the Scholastic Division and won 11 individual awards;
- Junior Cody McKeehan took first in the Varsity Division and won six individual awards;
- Senior Mariama Corneh won two individual awards;
- Senior Brian Schulze won two individual awards;
- Juniors Charles Overton and Jake Sanderman each won one individual award.
Other team members who helped North High clinch the win were sophomore Zach Hall, senior Aleksandra Klevakova, and senior Clark Reimers.
Best of luck to this hard-working team who advances to the state Academic Decathlon competition for the ninth year in a row. Lincoln and Roosevelt High Schools’ Academic Decathlon teams will advance to state as well. This year’s state competition will be held at Mt. Vernon High School on March 1-2.