Lincoln, Roosevelt Debaters Qualify for National Tourney
The West Iowa National Forensic League Speech and Debate Qualifier was hosted by Lincoln High School this past weekend, and nine students representing Des Moines Public Schools have qualified for the national tournament.
Those students, and their schools and events, are:
- Brett Dubois and Adrian Mitchell – Lincoln – Public Forum Debate
- Phylicia Brown and Giovonni Bahena – Lincoln – Duo Interpretation
- Murphy Burke – Roosevelt – Dramatic Interpretation
- Max Pilcher – Roosevelt – Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking
- Danny Drane – Roosevelt – Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking
- Jacob Thompson – Roosevelt – International Extemporaneous Speaking
- Lily Nellans – Roosevelt – International Extemporaneous Speaking
- Student of the Year: Lillian Nellans, Roosevelt
- Coach of the Year: Harry Strong, Roosevelt
- Overall Tournament Team Sweepstakes Champions: Roosevelt
Additional DMPS students may also be selected for the national tournament at the NFL Congress Qualifier event in Carroll on March 29.
The National Speech & Debate Tournament will be held in Kansas City on June 15-20.