Des Moines Public Schools has received approval from the Iowa Department of Education to educate students through virtual learning through Tuesday, December 22. The first day of Winter break at DMPS is Wednesday, December 23.
The school district will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation in Polk County and plan accordingly. Click the graphic below to visit the DMPS COVID-19 Dashboard for more information on the pandemic situation in our school district and community.
CENTRAL CAMPUS: There will be no in-person classes during this period at Central Campus.
MEALS: DMPS will provide free meals to all students during this period. Pick up is available at the following sites weekdays between 11:00 AM and 1: 00 PM. (Extra meals will be sent home on November 24 for the holiday break. Meal sites are closed November 25-27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Hoover High School, 4800 Aurora Ave.
- Lincoln High School, 2600 SW 9th St.
- North High School, 501 Holcomb Ave.
- Roosevelt High School, 4419 Center St.
- Brody Middle School, 2501 Park Ave.
- Callanan Middle School, 3010 Center St.
- Goodrell Middle School, 3300 E. 29th St.
- Harding Middle School, 203 East Euclid Ave.
- Hiatt Middle School, 1430 East University Ave.
- Hoyt Middle School, 2700 East 42nd St.
- McCombs Middle School, 201 County Line Road
- Merrill Middle School, 5301 Grand Ave.
- Weeks Middle School, 901 East Park Ave.
- Capitol View Elementary, 320 East 16th
- Carver Elementary, 705 East University Ave.
- Cattell Elementary, 3101 East 12th St
- Edmunds Elementary, 950 15th St.
- Hanawalt Elementary, 225 56th St
- Hillis Elementary, 2401 56th St
- Jackson Elementary, 3825 Indianola Ave
- Jefferson Elementary, 2425 Watrous Ave
- King Elementary, 1849 Forest Ave.
- Lovejoy Elementary, 801 E. Kenyon Ave.
- Madison Elementary, 806 E. Hoffman St.
- McKinley Elementary, 1610 SE 6th St.
- Monroe Elementary, 3015 Francis Ave.
- Morris Elementary, 1401 Geil Ave.
- Moulton Elementary, 1541 8th St.
- Perkins Elementary, 4301 College Ave.
- Phillips Elementary, 1701 Lay St.
- Pleasant Hill Elementary, 4801 E. Oakwood Dr.
- River Woods Elementary, 2929 SE 22nd St.
- South Union Elementary, 4201 South Union St.
- Stowe Elementary, 1411 East 33rd St
- Willard Elementary, 2941 Dean Ave.
- Windsor Elementary, 5912 University Ave.
- Wright Elementary, 5001 SW 14th St.
Extra food will be provided for the weekend. Any child age 1-18 is eligible. No ID required. Children do not need to be present.
METRO KIDS: Des Moines Public Schools is offering Metro Kids Care during 100% virtual learning in order to best serve families who continue to need childcare. Metro Kids serves a small percentage of DMPS students and will continue to follow all CDC guidelines to ensure student safety. Programs will be offered 7:00 AM-5:00 PM daily at the following elementary schools:
- Walnut Street
All sites will have limited capacity to ensure social distancing. Families may register through their current SchoolCare Works parent portal, new families may register for full-day care on the Metro Kids registration page.
OFFICES: School district offices remain open and may be visited by appointment only. Masks and physical distancing will continue to be required of every visitor.
SPECIAL EDUCATION: DMPS has been working with the families of IEP students to outline services to be provided if the district went to virtual learning. In some cases, these services will be provided on site for individual students during this time.
SPORTS & ACTIVITIES: Sports and in-person activities are on hold during this time. The Central Iowa Metropolitan League – which includes DMPS and represents one out of five students in Iowa – has asked the state high athletic associations to delay the start of the winter sports season until early January, given the growing number of schools doing virtual learning; to date, that request has been ignored. Activities that have been taking place virtually may continue to do so.
TECHNOLOGY: Students should already have their district-issued laptop at home with them. If you have technology issues, please start by contacting your school. Click here to access our guides for student laptops and internet hot spots.
VIRTUAL LEARNING: Education for students who are currently in virtual learning will continue as it has been. Education for students who had signed up for hybrid learning will continue with daily synchronous lessons with their teachers; schools will provide students the schedule for online classes.