Des Moines Public Schools is working to ensure that the restart of school is safe, includes families and employees in the process, and prioritizes student achievement, high-quality instruction and the health and well-being of all. Across this work, our planning and decision-making process is guided by the following core beliefs:
- Return to Learn plans should reflect the needs, desires, and parameters of our community, students, staff, parents, and health professionals.
- Return to Learn plans should prioritize and support the health, safety, and well-being of students and staff.
- Resources and efforts will be placed FIRST on ensuring that EVERY student has access to high quality, grade level instruction; variety of options for SOME is secondary.
- The Board goals and instructional levers determine where time, energy, and resources should be placed.
- A high-quality plan is prioritized, focused, versatile, and adaptive due to the rapidly changing environment in which we live.
SCHOOL BOARD GOALS
The percent of all third grade students on track in reading will increase from 52% to 72% by June 2023, as measured by FAST.
The percent of Black male third grade students on track in reading will increase from 35% to 72% by June 2023, as measured by FAST.
The percent of Black male students earning a ‘B’ or higher in Algebra 1 by the end of 9th grade will increase from 17% to 35% by August 2023.