Metro School Districts Respond to Latest Social Media Threat
Des Moines Public Schools has joined several other metro school districts in the statement below about a nationwide threat, not believed to be credible by local or federal law enforcement, which was posted to TikTok.
Our school districts recently learned of an anonymous, nationwide threat against schools that is being shared on social media outlets such as TikTok. The general threat toward all U.S. schools declares Friday, Dec. 17, as “American School Shooting Day.” The posts warn about the possibility of nationwide shootings or bomb threats associated with this day.
We have partnered with local law enforcement to investigate whether there are any local connections to these social media posts. At this time, law enforcement has not acquired any evidence that would deem these threats as credible in our area. Out of an abundance of caution, our schools will be in close contact with law enforcement throughout the day on Friday.
Please take this opportunity to talk with your students about the appropriate use of social media, and the seriousness and resulting consequences of making any kind of threat. Encourage your students to speak with you or an adult at school if they see or hear something so immediate action can be taken. In addition, if anyone in our community sees something suspicious, please report it to the school immediately or call local law enforcement. The district and the police department take these matters seriously.
We appreciate your support and partnership.
- Adel-Desoto-Minburn Community School District
- Ankeny Community School District
- Ames Community School District
- Bondurant-Farrar Community School District
- Dallas Center-Grimes School District
- Des Moines Public Schools
- Johnston Community School District
- North Polk Community School District
- Norwalk Community School District
- Southeast Polk Community School District
- Urbandale Community School District
- Waukee Community School District
- West Des Moines Community School District