The School Board voted to resume the hybrid learning model at all grade levels for students who selected that option for the first semester. Students who selected the all-virtual option for the first semester will resume classes online on Monday. In effect, this resumes the learning models that were used a different times in October and November.
Some additional information includes:
- Students in the hybrid learning model were assigned to either Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday for in-person classes, with Wednesday’s alternating between the two groups. Next week, students in the Thursday/Friday group will attend in-person classes on Wednesday. Click here for the Wednesday calendar for the second semester.
- Masks will continue to be required at all DMPS buildings this school year, and the district will continue to practice the COVID-19 mitigation efforts that have been implemented in response to the pandemic.
- High school winter sports, which resumed practices on December 23, will be allowed to continue practices and begin competition effective Monday, January 4.
- MetroKids will offer full-day care (for virtual learning days) and after school care (for in-person hybrid day) starting next Monday. Please click here for more information and to register.
- DMPS will continue to offer all students a free breakfast and lunch this school year. How students receive meals will depend on whether they are in the hybrid or virtual learning model. Please click the meal service link in the right-hand menu for more details.
- Please note that some families may have made a different learning model selection for the second semester than for the first semester. Reminders will be provided prior to the start of the second semester on January 25.
At this time, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Des Moines Public Schools is offering families with two learning models to choose from:
- VIRTUAL: The 100% online learning option, similar to how DMPS began this school year, will continue to be available to all students across all grade levels.
- HYBRID: A hybrid model, consisting of 2-3 days of in-person instruction each week, will also be offered under this updated plan. Students would be assigned to either an A or B group. The A group would attend school on Monday and Tuesday, the B group would attend school on Thursday and Friday, and Wednesdays would alternate between the two groups.
Please visit the web pages listed to the right for more about the learning models options and other related information.