2017 School Board Election
The 2017 School Board election will be held on Tuesday, September 12.
Visit the Polk County Election Office web site for information about voting locations, sample ballots, and more.
There are a total of four seats that will be on the ballot this year:
- At-Large (2 seats)
- District 2
- District 4
To run for the School Board a candidate must file an affidavit of candidacy and submit a petition with the signatures of at least 50 eligible voters no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, August 3. Candidates must be a resident of the district in which they are running or a resident of the school district if running for an at-large seat.
The forms to file to be a candidate may be downloaded here:
The completed affidavit and nominating petition must be returned to Deb Pendleton at the DMPS offices at 2323 Grand Avenue by 5:00 PM, Thursday, August 3.
For additional information, be sure to visit the Iowa Secretary of State’s web site.
In addition, the Iowa Association of School Boards has posted information of interest for candidates.
- Monday, July 10 – First day to file nomination papers with the school board secretary.
- Thursday, August 3 – Last day to file nomination papers with the school board secretary. Deadline is 5:00 PM.
- Monday, August 14 – A petition requesting a satellite absentee voting station must be filed with the county auditor no later than 5:00 PM.
- Friday, September 1 – The deadline to pre-register to vote for the school election is 5:00 PM.
- Friday, September 8 – Last day to request an absentee ballot by mail.
- Monday, September 11 – Last day to request and vote an absentee ballot in person at the county auditor’s office.
- Tuesday, September 12 – School Election Day. The polls are open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM