Register for 2018 AP Exams
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, March 28
Enrollment in college-level Advanced Placement courses has skyrocketed at Des Moines Public Schools as more and more AP classes are being offered at all DMPS high schools than ever before. An important component of AP courses is the AP exam, which can lead to credit at many colleges and universities.
WHAT ARE AP EXAMS?
AP Exams are administered by schools worldwide on set dates each May. Exams usually last around three hours. Each AP Exam usually consists of multiple-choice questions and free-response questions (essay, problem-solving, oral response).
WHY SHOULD I CONSIDER TAKING AN AP EXAM?
Reason #1: College Credit
Almost all two- and four-year colleges and universities in the United States offer credit and/or advanced placement for qualifying AP Exam scores. This means students can earn credit toward their college degrees and/or can skip introductory courses and move directly into higher-level classes or fulfill general education requirements.
Information about AP credit and placement policies at many colleges and universities is available at https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/creditandplacement/search-credit-policies
Reason #2: Increased College Success
A recent study showed that students who earned a 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Exam had higher first-year college grade point averages and were more likely to return for the second year of college than non-AP students of similar ability.
Reason #3: Save Money
Students who take five years or more to graduate can spend $8,000 to $27,000 for each additional year in college. A qualifying score on an AP exam can save both time and money in earning a college degree.
- The typical college cost per year for a four-year public institution is $8,142 for in-state students and $19,670 for out-of-state students.
- Students attending private institutions might expect to incur $27,389 for each additional year it takes to earn a bachelor’s degree.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR AN AP EXAM?
JANUARY 16: AP Exam Registration starts
MARCH 28: AP Exam Registration ends
- All students register and pay exam fees through their home school.
- The cost of each AP exam is $94.00.
- A $15 non-refundable deposit is required for each exam, but full payment is required before an exam will be ordered. You are responsible for ensuring payments are made in a timely manner.
- The United Way of Central Iowa is supporting qualifying students in the DMPS Advanced Placement program. If you are a student who qualifies for free or reduced priced lunch, the exam fee has been covered by the United Way, the College Board, and the state so that your AP exam(s) can be taken at no cost.
Payment in full for each exam is required no later than Wednesday, March 28, 2018. Make checks payable to the school. If you have questions about exam registration or payment, please see your school counselor, AP coordinator, or bookkeeper. Note: Once registration and AP exam payments are made, there are no refunds.
HOW DO I FIND OUT MY AP EXAM SCORES?
AP exams are taken in May and graded in June. Scores are reported online in July.
AP exam scores are uploaded into Infinite Campus so you always have access to your assessment information.
AP Exam scores are NOT a part of your school transcript. Unlike the ACT and SAT exam scores which are automatically reported to colleges and universities, you decide if and when you choose to report your AP exam score(s) to colleges and universities.