This page contains information prepared by Des Moines Public Schools as well as third-party articles on how the issue of school hours can impact education.
The following is information prepared and/or presented by Des Moines Public Schools in our consideration of changing school hours:
- Community Forums Presentation
- School Board Presentation (February 7, 2017)
- School Hours for Neighboring Districts
The following are articles and reports on how sleep patterns and school hours can impact education:
- Impact of School Start Times on Student Learning (Hanover Research)
- School Start Times for Adolescents (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Later School Start Times Promote Adolescent Well-Being (American Psychological Association)
- Examining the Impact of Later High School Start Times on the Health and Academic Performance of High School Students: A Multi-Site Study (University of Minnesota)
- “Schools are Slow to Learn Sleep Deprivation Hits Teenagers Hardest” (New York Times)
- Start School Later (clearinghouse with information on sleep and school hours)
INTERVIEW WITH DR. NATHAN BOONSTRA, PEDIATRICIAN AT BLANK CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
Be sure to check back as this page will be updated throughout this process.