Safety & Security
Creating and maintaining a safe and secure environment in our schools is a top priority for the district. Des Moines Public Schools has utilized a number of financial resources – including our general fund, Physical Plant & Equipment Levy (PPEL), and statewide sales tax – to support this important work.
In addition, all schools are now controlled by card access systems and all DMPS staff are issued photo identification badges.
Other safety and security initiatives include:
With school busses logging more than 1.5 million miles per year, transportation is a critical component of the district’s safety/security program. That effort begins with making sure each bus stop is a safe location for students.
In addition, all new buses have a child-check system which sounds an alarm to assure drivers check the back of the bus for sleeping children. Currently, 60% of our buses have the systems with the number growing each year. Finally, digital cameras are installed in all route buses.
Construction & Renovation
Recent construction and renovation projects at schools throughout Des Moines have led to a number of significant security upgrades, including:
- Restricted key blanks, preventing duplication of door keys outside our school district
- Intruder locks for classrooms doors, allowing for classrooms to be immediately locked from the inside
- Increased supervisory controls of main entrances, directing visitors to office areas and restricting easy access to other parts of the school
- Key card access entry at all school buildings
- Landscaping to limit visual barriers
- Upgrading fire alarm systems to include both visual and audio devices
- Steady reduction of mobile classrooms which are slated for elimination by 2018
District Security Division
Des Moines Public Schools maintains a 24/7 security staff whose responsibilities include:
- Staffing a centralized security station that reviews after-hour access to schools
- Patrolling school district facilities during non-school hours
- Monitoring alarms and dispatching appropriate personnel
- Monitoring fire, security, and building operations system
Des Moines Public Schools also makes use of video technology to monitor safety and security at school district facilities. More than 700 cameras monitor building exteriors and common spaces in our schools. In addition, each routed school bus is equipped with an on-board video camera.
Security cameras are used to monitor school property, assist administrators in detecting and deterring unacceptable behavior or activities, and otherwise enforce district rules. Camera systems also provide a historical record to facilitate investigations. To read the school district’s policy on the use of video cameras, click here.
Contact the Security Desk at 242-7621