Blank Hospital provides classroom space for a Des Moines Public School program that serves students K-12 who have long-term severe illnesses. Students meet criteria to attend the Blank classroom if they are too fragile to attend a comprehensive school, but would benefit from a classroom experience in a small, safe setting. Students who are able to be in this setting benefit from contact with peers. School transportation can be provided if requested in the Individual Education Plan (IEP).
- Educational programming to meet individual academic needs and requirements
- Transition services to receiving schools
- Medical care including access to emergency care
- Access to medical therapies at Methodist Hospital
- Medical or emotional assessment
- Transportation if staffed
- Students must have a special education weighting of 3.74 (Level III)
- Students must be staffed as either physically disabled or other health impaired. These health conditions could include students who have cancer, severe burns, head injuries, life threatening asthma or diabetes, or unusual health conditions requiring special treatment. Many of these students receive scheduled medical treatments during their day at the hospital.
- Parents who have hospitalized children at Methodist/Blank Hospital may contact teacher John Miller at 241-6184.
- Referrals outside the hospital may contact John Miller or Donna Simmer at 242-7798 or 242-8187.
John Miller, Blank Hospital Teacher
Susan Shipley-Lawrence, Consultant
242-8105 ext. 2732
Administrator: Janet Young, Zone Supervisor