Creative Writers at Central Honored for Their Work
Several students in the Central Academy Creative Writing program, along with two of their teachers, were honored this past weekend at the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards sponsored by the Belin-Blank Center at the University of Iowa.
The award winning student authors are:
- Granger Cary, who earned a Gold Key for poetry;
- Montgomery Cason, who earned a Gold Key for poetry.
- Julianna Courard-Hauri, who earned a Gold Key for Flash Fiction;
- Wren Fleming who earned a Gold Key for her writing portfolio
- Madison McKibben, who earned a Gold Key for Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Sam Bates-Norum, who earned a Silver Key for his Dramatic Script
- Quinn Veasman, who earned two Silver Keys for poetry;
- Reid Wade, who earned two Honorable Mentions: one for Flash Fiction and one for Persuasive Writing
Teacher Sherry Brooks and Dianne Morain also took part in the award ceremony (Amy Finnegan and Cate Miller also teach creative writing at Central Academy).
Those four teachers collaborated to form the Independent Study Creative Writing class at Central. Students in the creative writing program at Central Academy meet weekly during lunch and work collaboratively in this extended learning program to explore their passion and submit to publications and competitions.
Congratulations to all of the up-and-coming students writers, and their teachers, at Central Academy!